What to know about autoflowering cannabis seeds?
Autoflowering cannabis seeds germinate into plants that start flowering on their own after approx 2-4 weeks of growth. But it depends mainly on strains specifics. Some automatic strains may start to bloom even after two months.
Non-photoperiodic varieties: what does this actually mean?
Photoperiodic cannabis plants grow according to how many hours of light they receive. In nature, these plants start to flower when the days start to get shorter at the end of summer. Indoors, growers must initiate flowering by changing the light cycle to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness.
On the other hand, autoflowering varieties flower according to their age and not according to the hours of light received.
Autoflowering varieties have several important characteristics:
- Plants flower automatically when they are mature.
- On average, they are ready for harvest 10 weeks after planting.
- Autoflowering seeds are mostly feminized so you don’t have to worry about male plants.
- The plants are small in stature (30-150 cm).
- They don’t attract as much attention and so are ideal for discreet growing.
- You can harvest multiple crops in one season.
- You can fully use the best part of season outdoor.
- Autoflowers provide a quality harvest even in the Nordic countries where this is otherwise impossible.
Peculiarities of autoflowering cannabis seeds
Autoflowering strains first appeared on the market at the turn of the millennium and were not very popular. They were not strong varieties, they had a weak aroma and also low yields, because the original ruderalis was weaker.
But they have come a long way since then. Modern autoflowering varieties can compete with (and in some cases surpass) photoperiodic varieties in terms of vigour, yield and flavour. However, they still retain the unique characteristics we have already mentioned.
These days, autoflowering varieties can satisfy even the most demanding users. Recreational users will have no problem finding a variety of autoflowering strains that are rich in THC, and holistic users can find low-THC, high-CBD autoflowering strains.
So don’t hesitate to give this luxury cannabis model a chance.
Published by Jan Veselý31/05/2021